The aim of the course is to provide the student with an appreciation of the different aspects of planning practice. The course focuses on aspects of planning practice. It seeks to enable the student to develop a fuller understanding of such practice by drawing on the research literature as well as empirical examples. Particular emphasis will be put on the links between theoretical concepts generalising about planning practice and the everyday experience of such practice involving contributions from practitioners.
Learning OutcomesAt the end of the module, students should be able to:
- demonstrate their knowledge of different aspects of contemporary planning practice in the UK;
- appreciate the variety of perspectives on planning practice from different actors and stakeholders involved with or affected by planning practice;
- critically discuss the links between academic literature on planning practice, and the everyday experience of planning practice;
- refer to relevant material from the academic literature; and draw connections between the academic literature and their knowledge or experience of planning practice; and
- present their analysis and recommendations in the proper format of a written professional report.
- Clifford, B. and Tewdwr-Jones, M. (2014) The collaborating planner? Practitioners in the neoliberal age, Policy Press.
- Gallent, N. and Ciaffi, D. (eds) (2014) Community action and planning: Contexts, drivers and outcomes. Policy Press.
- Healey, P. (2012) Making Better Places: The Planning Project in the Twenty-First Century, Palgrave.
- Healey, P. (2006) Collaborative Planning: Shaping Places in Fragmented Societies (2nd Ed), Palgrave.
- Healey, P. et al (2002) Negotiating Development: Rationales and practice for development obligations and planning gain, Routledge.
- Kitchen, T. (2006) Skills for Planning Practice, Palgrave
- Ratcliffe, J., Stubbs, M., and Keeping, M. Urban Planning and Real Estate Development, Routledge
- Rydin, Y. (2011) The Purpose of Planning, Policy Press
- Rydin, Y. (2013) The Future of Planning, Policy Press
- Sanyal, B. et al (2012) (Eds.) Planning Ideas That Matter, MIT Press
- Tewdwr-Jones, M. (2012) Spatial Planning and Governance: Understanding UK Planning, Palgrave